UNIVERSAL PREKINDERGARTEN (UPK) 2021-22
UPK Frequently Asked Questions
Lynbrook Union Free School District
The Lynbrook Union Free School District has received funding to offer up to 66 eligible students full-day prekindergarten for the 2021-22 school year. The district submitted a request for proposals from experienced early childhood education providers, qualified community-based organizations, and childcare providers with demonstrated success in the area of operating full-day universal pre-kindergarten programs that can provide the nurturing educational experiences needed to prepare our youngest students for success in subsequent schooling.
The Board of Education intends to approve a vendor to perform full-day universal pre-kindergarten services for the District at its August 11th Board of Education meeting.
A proposal was submitted by the Barry and Florence Friedberg Jewish Community Center (JCC). A team from the District conducted an on-site visit of The Barry and Florence Friedberg Jewish Community Center (JCC) program located at 1 Saperstein Plaza, Lynbrook. The JCC meets the specific requirements set forth by the District and the varied needs of District students while complying with the State Regulations with respect to the operation of a universal pre-k program. While the award will not be granted until the August 11th meeting, the District wishes to make you aware that the JCC can only provide 48 seats of the possible 66 seats in their program for September 2021.
Below are answers to some common questions you may have that will hopefully allow you to make a decision for your child. Thank you for your patience as this is a new program for our District and final details are still under development. Please check back periodically for additional information.
Dates: When will the program begin?
- Program dates will follow a 180-day calendar and will begin on September 9th.
Eligibility: Who is eligible for the Lynbrook UFSD 2021-22 UPK program?
- Students must be Lynbrook UFSD residents
- Children who turn four on or before December 1, 2021, and are first eligible for Kindergarten in September, 2022, are eligible to enroll in the district’s lottery system to participate in UPK.
Students must be born between Dec. 2, 2016, and Dec. 1, 2017.
- Students who are eligible for kindergarten (who turn five on or before December 1, 2021), are not eligible for the Universal PreK program, per state eligibility requirements.
Program Sponsor: What organization will be operating the UPK program for Lynbrook?
- It is anticipated that the contract will be awarded by the Board of Education on August 11th to the Barry and Florence Friedberg Jewish Community Center (JCC). The JCC will operate the program at the Early Childhood Center located at 1 Saperstein Plaza in Lynbrook, NY, pending approval of the contract.
Lottery: How does the lottery work?
- Eligible families (see eligibility) will first fill out a preliminary application and provide proof of residency and proof of birth. The application can be found on our website www.lynbrookschools.org
- Applications must be hand delivered to the Administration Building, 111 Atlantic Avenue, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 AM and 1:30 PM.
- Applications are currently being accepted and are due NO LATER THAN THURSDAY,
AUGUST 12TH AT 1:30 PM.
- When the application is submitted, you will be assigned a number for the lottery.
- The lottery for 48 seats will take place virtually on Friday, August 13th at 11 AM. The lottery selection will be livestreamed. The link will be available on the District website homepage: www.lynbrookschools.org
- There will be a waiting list (subject to random order). If a family declines the offer or does not register their child, the next student on the waiting list will be offered a place in the program.
IF your lottery number is selected:
- Once the lottery drawing occurs, families who are selected will be notified via email no later than Monday, August 16th. The email will come from Lynbrookupk@lynbrookschools.org.
- Families must then formally register their child.
- Registration will be conducted electronically. All registration information is available on the District website at: https://lynbrookschools.org/parentsstudents/registration
- You will need to upload documents with your registration form. These documents include: proof of residency, proof of birth, evidence of immunizations and an updated physical examination.
- You will have 5 business days to register. Deadline: Friday, August 20th by 1:30 PM, otherwise, we will move to our waitlist and offer the seat to the next chosen number.
- As the turnaround to register is quick, it is advisable to review the registration form and gather the information needed now so you have everything you need to register.
Class Size: How big will the classes be?
- Up to 18 students per class and based on actual classroom size.
Teachers and Curriculum: Who will teach the program? What will they teach?
- NYS Certified Teachers will teach the program.
- Teachers will follow the New York State Prekindergarten Foundation curriculum:
- Approaches to Learning – How children become involved in learning and acquiring knowledge.
- Physical Development and Health – Children’s physical health and ability to engage in daily activities.
- Social and Emotional Development – The emotional competence and ability to form positive relationships that give meaning to children’s experiences in the home, school, and larger community.
- Communication, Language, and Literacy – How children understand, create, and communicate meaning.
- Cognition and Knowledge of the World – What children need to know and understand about their world and how they apply what they know.
Times/Length of Day: When will the program start and end? Can that time be extended?
- This full-day program will be five hours per day, Mondays through Fridays, from
9:00 AM – 2:00 PM.
- Before- or after-care will be available for 2021-22 prekindergarten students
beginning at 7:00 AM until 6:00 PM. These costs are the sole responsibility of the child’s family. Arrangements will be made through the JCC directly.
Transportation: Will transportation be provided?
- Transportation will not be provided for UPK.
Waiting List: When will I be notified if my child is accepted from the waiting list?
- Notifications will be made on a rolling basis via email as spaces become available.